31 Days: eat a different food today
Posted by kathryn in Uncategorized
Today’s task in 31 Days to Better Energy is to eat a different food.
It’s easy to get into a food rut. You have toast for breakfast, a cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch and then one of about three options for dinner. While we tend to mix things up a bit on the weekend, during the week it can be pretty much the same every day.
Yes, eating the same way every day is easy. In a busy schedule, it means food is one less thing you have to worry about. However, having the same food every day can leave you bored and seeking out some food excitement . . . which usually means lollies, chocolate, soft drinks and junk food.
By limiting the range of foods you eat, you’re also limiting your nutritional intake. No two foods are nutritionally the same. They contain different levels of protein, antioxidants, types of fat and different amounts of vitamins and minerals. By eating a variety of foods you’re making sure you get the variety of nutrients, needed to maximise your health and energy.
Today’s task is to get out of your food rut and eat something different. You don’t have to seek out something completely new, simply eat a food you wouldn’t normally include in your diet during the week.
- Have some fruit and yoghurt mid morning, instead of a muffin
- If you always have chicken at lunch, then switch it to beef, tofu, eggs or fish
- Is your standard sandwich cheese and tomato? Then add in some rocket or baby spinach.
- Buy a sandwich instead of a burger
- Instead of buying a juice at lunch, get a piece of fresh fruit
- Buy a stir-fry for lunch, instead of pasta
- Have some almonds as an afternoon snack, rather than biscuits
- Top tonight’s pasta with ricotta instead of parmesan
- Have fish tonight instead of meat
- If you always have carrots, potatoes and broccoli in the evening, then tonight change that to cauliflower, pumpkin and snowpeas
- Instead of snacking on chocolate after dinner, have a bowl of fruit and yoghurt
Mix it up, try something new if you want to, but just eat differently today.
Next, we’re on to Q & A Thursday.
This post is part of a series I’m writing over August called 31 Days to Better Energy. For more information and to view the other tasks, take a look at the introductory post.